Gastric Band Dublin Ireland
The Gastric Band is an inflatable silicone plastic ring that is placed around the upper part of the stomach, creating a small pouch at the top of the stomach with a small opening to the rest of the stomach.
The Band controls the amount of food that passes from the stomach pouch into the digestive tract.
The Band is adjustable using a special port attached by thin tubing to the Band. This port is placed just under the skin and fluid (sterile saline - a salty solution like other fluids in your body) can then be injected or withdrawn to adjust the size of the opening between the upper and lower parts of the stomach. This enables you to feel full sooner and the feeling also lasts longer.
The band is an effective tool, however, it only does 30% of the work and the other 70% is down to you, the patient, and good aftercare.
Having the Gastric band adjusted
The Gastric Band is the only adjustable and reversible weight loss surgery that does not involve cutting and stapling of the stomach or gastrointestinal re-routing to bypass normal digestion. Patient benefits include reduced surgical trauma, complications, pain and scarring, as well as shorter hospitalisation and recovery time compared to other weight loss surgeries.
Adjustments to the Gastric Band are made by injecting fluid through a very small tube which has a special button-like reservoir just under your skin. It can be inflated and deflated in this way, until the right level of restriction is established. It usually takes two adjustments to find the right level of restriction, but additional adjustments may be required. These will be carried out at your hospital, and the first one is usually six weeks after band surgery.
Will I be scarred severely from the operation?
The scarring from the gastric band operation is minimal, some patients in fact struggle to find their scars, after they have recovered from the operation. The insertion of the port is very small indeed and is placed in a central position, just under the breast bone. If you attend a consultation with one of our Patient Care Co-ordinators, many are also band patients, therefore feel free to ask to see their scar and they will be more than happy to show you - so you can see just how tiny the scarring can be.
What happens when I achieve my target weight?
When a patient achieves their target weight they should book an appointment with the nurse in order to have a slight amount of saline taken out of their band. This is so the correct restriction is applied and is proportional to your dietary needs.
Can I still enjoy going out for a meal with family & friends?
Yes, you can. Many of our patients think they can no longer enjoy a night out with friends at a restaurant because of their gastric band. Although the gastric band is the ultimate portion controller it will not prevent you from going out. It is important to note that you will not be able to complete every course, due to the restrictions of your band, however a moderate portion of each can be digested. This is a particularly common question amongst patients who want to keep their band hidden from friends and relatives.
What will happen to my skin after I have lost all my desired weight?
This is a very difficult question to answer as every patient's skin elasticity is different. Some patients do not have a problem with excess skin as the skin will often mould itself around new body tissue. There are many contributing factors that can determine how your skin will cope with dramatic weight loss.
These are as follows:
• Age • Pregnancies • Smoker / Non-Smoker • Sun Exposure • Exercise • Genetic • Extent of weight loss
If, for example, you are a sixty five year old smoker, who has had five children, sun worshipper, who partakes in no exercise at all and has 10 stone to lose you would be at a higher risk than a thirty year old non-smoker who has not had any children, who participates in occasional exercise, and has average exposure level to sunlight. Your Patient Care Co-ordinator will go into greater depth concerning this issue.
If excess skin is a problem for you, The Hospital Group can offer advice on what cosmetic surgery procedures a patient could have in order to treat the excess skin. The most common and effective procedure which we offer is Abdominoplasty (or 'tummy tuck').
What happens before Gastric Band Treatment?
At a post-consultation meeting a patient care co-ordinator will:
• Explain how this surgery may help and what is expected for you to succeed through to the post-operative recovery period.
• Complete a pre-operative assessment to ensure our selection criteria is met and
it is safe for you to undergo the procedure.
• Patient Care Co-ordinators will discuss the scheduling of the procedure you are
• Advise you of the cost of your procedure and inform you of the easy payment